Despite Poor Fees, I Can’t Quit Acting – Actress Oyebade Adebimpe


Nollywood actress, Oyebade Adebimpe, emerged as one of the promising actresses in the Yoruba movie industry about two years ago and has not looked back since then. The actress speaks on her career, misconceptions about her, among other issues.
Your name has been one of the most talked about in the movie industry for different reasons, one as an actress and another as one lady that catches the attention of men. How do you cope?
I am just an actor. It’s my job. I don’t feel pressure in any way. Also, it is normal for women to catch the attention of men. That’s how it has been and it doesn’t make me feel special. I’m just me.
You have been in the industry for a few years, but it seems you are only getting the attention now. How would you describe your rise?
It didn’t take me long to break out. I’ve not been in the industry for up to two years and I think I’ve tried. My first movie feature was Agbede Meji and I got known from there.
There have been some misconceptions about Bimpe. Does this really get to you?
Not at all. Nothing gets to me, because to be great in life, you will be misunderstood, hated and mocked. I still have a long way to go. I can’t let little things get to me. People’s opinions don’t really matter. What matters to me is who I am. I don’t care about what people think about me. I would say it is God’s grace; I’m highly blessed. My being here today is by the grace of God and I don’t take it for granted.
Don’t you get distracted by trying to fit into the real personality that you like people to see?
I don’t get distracted by trying to fit into a personality I want people to see and know. I want people to know and like me for who I am. I’m just a normal girl; I’m just me. I’m very real. I don’t care what people think.
The industry is peopled by different characters and people with diverse backgrounds. How do you try to be?
Yes the industry is filled with people of different character and diverse backgrounds. You just have to look for what makes you unique and make use of it. It’s all God’s grace. If I stand out today, it’s not by my power. If you can survive in this industry, you can survive anywhere.
You are one of the emerging stars of Nollywood. How have you been dealing with this moment?
It is not an easy task. I just take it slow and not put myself under unnecessary pressure, I just take it one day at a time. I don’t rush things or overprice myself.
Talking about being overpriced, does it not bother you that the Yoruba movie industry, after all these years, still don’t pay its practitioners well enough?
It doesn’t really bother me, because we the new stars are changing the narrative. I think I’m doing good, but I can do better. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Everything is changing in the Yoruba movie industry. Our movies are getting better. The pay is getting better and we thank God for that.
But despite the poor fee, most of you would rather stick around than quit. When something does not pay you, how do you draw the strength to keep going?
One’s passion for the job is so much that sometimes it’s not just about the pay again. Asides the fact that I’m an actor, I’m a producer and I always make sure I’m careful about the content I put out there. I don’t want to give anything less. I want to give the public a value for their money. I believe viewers should enjoy their time. For most of us, it’s not just about the money; it is more about the brand.
Let’s talk about your colleagues in the industry and how you relate with them. What do you make of the fake love that seems to be the order of the day?
I can’t say much about my colleagues and my relationship with them because I don’t really have friends. When I go on locations, I’m always humble and respectful, I relate with them the way I should. I only have two male friends. I don’t make a friend, that’s how I’ve been even before I joined the industry so it’s nothing personal.
Rising to the top of one’s game is one thing, staying relevant is another thing. What is your take on actresses and actors who usually fail to maintain their celebrity status for long?
To be sincere with you, maintaining the celebrity status is not something that is easy, so I wouldn’t blame anyone. It will be easy if some of us can just be ourselves and act like normal human beings. Being a celebrity doesn’t make you extraordinary; you are human and can always act like a normal person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The man in the viral child blowjob video has been arrested .

20-year-old lady stabs her husband to death in Anambra

Omg! Jealous boyfriend Live streams video of him murdering his girlfriend (graphic video)